Friday, March 25, 2011

Dell D620 won't recognize Fan

I've been at this for about 3 weeks now on and off. I recently received a D620 from my brother who works at help desk. The company did not need this laptop and he gave it to me.



The laptop works great until i noticed how hot it was getting (86c). I took apart the entire laptop and took notice of a fan not spinning as well as cleaning out the heatsink.



I purchased a new fan. Put her in and ...nothing. It would attempt to spin and do a slight rotation and then lock. It will repeat this the entire time the laptop is on and get extremely hot in the process.



I put the old fan back in and it didnt even attempt to spin.



I then decided to pick up a cheap mobo. I purchased a x299 mobo and put that in the laptop. Connected everything and ...once again both fans do the exact same thing. One tries to spin the other does nothing.



There is no option in the bios to turn on the fan or make it come on at certain temps. The revision is a10 for the bios.



Ive tried speedfan and that i2385395y whatever program. Both do not even see the fan. I ran a dell diagnostics and even that cannot see the fan.



Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?



p.s. don't know whats up with formatting as i have 4 paragraphs yet they all show as double spaced sentences.

Reply 1 : Dell D620 won't recognize Fan

Is the "i2385395y" program i8kfangui? That's what I would advise you try if you haven't... but with a new fan and a new board, it's very odd that the thing still isn't working.



Can you spin both fans smoothly by hand? Maybe you just got two dud fans...

Reply 2 : Dell D620 won't recognize Fan

Yes. That is the program. (: I'm thinking that is the only viable explanation. Unfortunate for myself but whatever.



Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment